Thursday, June 14, 2012

A blog for my sweet passion

Hello there! Welcome to my little corner of the blogging world. I am a child of God, a wife, a mother, and a crafter. I love to work in all kinds of mediums, paper, fabric, paint, wood, and sugar. Yep, sugar. I love to make cake, cupcakes and other sweets, and I love to decorate them in fun and unusual ways. This blog is a place for me to showcase some of my sugar art. :o)

Here's my most recent cake. It was a strawberry cake with dark chocolate filling. Yum!



I was asked by a friend to do a cake for her friend who happens to be an interior designer. The fleur-de-lis is her trademark so I wanted to work that into the design of the cake. This was my first time doing heels. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but it did take a bit of time to allow the gum paste to fully dry between steps.

Before you ask, I do not have a cake decorating business--yet. I do it because I enjoy it. I would love to make money at it, but our government doesn't make that easy. There are tons of regulations and restrictions to having a home-based baking business. We are working on building a separate kitchen for me to do my baking in, but we are trying to do it without going into debt. I want this business to remain something I enjoy and do because I want to, not because I have to pay off bills. From time to time I will post updates on our progress with the kitchen. In the mean time, all of the cakes you see here are done on a donation basis.

We have collected a few of the items I will need for the kitchen over the last few months, a commercial stove, stainless steel counters and a sink. Here's my most recent addition.

Don't you love my wind-blown hair?!

That's a 3 door commercial fridge. My mom owned a food truck that she would drive around to businesses and sell them breakfast or lunch. She makes the most awesome breakfast burrito around. She recently retired from the business and decided to let me have her fridge! How cool is that? We just had to figure out a way to get it from Colorado to Wisconsin. I have to say that it was quite an adventure towing that thing over the Rocky Mountains. It took us 19 hours to get out to my family in CO, but it took almost 24 to get back home.  We did make it safe and sound, and it is currently sitting in my garage waiting for its new home.

I will try and post some of the cakes I've done in the past, but right now, I'm off for some snuggle time with my baby.

Till next time...
God's love and blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment