Thursday, January 30, 2014

Painted Cakes

I'm back with some more of last year's cakes. This time I thought I'd show you some painted cakes. I took The Hand Painted Cake course on Craftsy a while ago. This is one of their free classes, so feel free to go check it out. One thing I do differently than the video though is that I use food grade airbrush colors rather than regular food colors. They don't need to be watered down with lemon extract as much and they blend much nicer.

This is one of the first ones I did. This cake was purely an "accident".  Well, it was inspired by one anyway. Mike and I were driving home from delivering a cake on a rainy afternoon when a young buck couldn't decide which way he wanted to go across the street. Unfortunately, he chose the wrong way. Fortunately, he wasn't hurt and neither was our vehicle, but as we stopped to check for damage, I noticed the beautiful lilies in the pond next to us. I was thankful that my camera was in the van and snapped a couple of photos. My husband kids that only I could turn a deer collision into a photo-op. :o)


I looked up tutorials for making water lilies, but didn't like the results of them, so I just played around. I cut a pattern from cardstock with my Silhouette and used it for the petals and cut them out with an x-acto blade.  Then I just played around with shaping the petals and used tissue between them to space them out till the gumpaste hardened.

The scene on this next one was inspired from a painting book I have: From Flea Market to Fabulous by Kerry Trout.


As you can see, it was for a gentlemen celebrating his 95th birthday. I tried to make the tractor look a bit vintage, more like the ones he would have used in his early day. Even though church and the subsequent party for this young man were canceled due to the extreme cold that day, we took this on over to him with a couple other brave souls to celebrate. It's not every day you get to celebrate your 95th birthday!


I will leave you with a sneak peak of the cake I'm currently working on. This is Peggy. Isn't she cute?! I used another tutorial from McGreevy Cakes. This lady has some awesome cake skills!


Well, it's time for lunch and another Wii Party match with my daughter. Gotta go!

Till next time...
God's love and blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment